Las Vegas Academy World Jazz Studies
Las Vegas Academy
Auditions for new incoming students are required for acceptance into LVA and the World Jazz Studies Program. These entry auditions take place by appointment in January each year. If seats are still available in the department, an additional audition may take place in May. Check the LVA website for more information. Auditions for the 2017-2018 school year will take place on January 21st and January 28th, 2017.
1. Brass, Wind, Guitar, Bass, and Piano memorize all TWELVE of the major scales at a TEMPO of quarter not equals 144 beats per minute. Play a chromatic scale at a TEMPO of quarter note equals 120 beats per minute in an 8th note triplet fashion.
2. Brass, Wind, Guitar, and Piano should choose between A or B below:
3. Rhythm section players will be asked to demonstrate various Latin, Jazz, and Afro-Cuban styles.
4. Drummers will be asked to trade fours and demonstrate a knowledge in brushes.
5. All auditioning students will be asked to sight-read as part of their audition.
Jazz Band Placement Auditions
There are 3 big bands and 3 combos in the World Jazz Studies Program at the Las Vegas Academy of the Arts. Newly enrolled and returning students must audition for their placement into a big band. Advanced Instrumental Studies is an elective course at LVA for jazz combos. Students are not required to audition for a jazz combo unless they plan on taking this elective course and have received approval to audition from Mr. Bowen. Big band and combo auditions take place during a 3-day, mandatory jazz camp in August, typically 2-3 weeks before school begins.
Jazz Combo Auditions
The first round of auditions for Jazz Combos takes place in May. If you pass this round of auditions, you will be enrolled in the Advanced Instrumental Studies class and placed in a combo for the following school year. Auditions for combo placement will take place on the first day of Jazz Camp.
Links to Pages
Download the iGive button and help raise money for LVA World Jazz Studies.
Follow this link for more details...
All images are copyrighted to their respective owners. All content cited is derived from their respective sources.
Las Vegas Academy of the Arts JAZZ
315 South 7th Street
Las Vegas, NV 89101
702-799-7800 ext 4051
Patrick Bowen - Director
Cecil Myers - Assistant Director
Sue Mirman- Instructional Assistant
Website developed by D. Bangle using Adobe Muse
For website related inquiries contact email@example.com