Posted on 11 August, 2009
The World Jazz Studies Program:
- The Las Vegas Academy fine arts area was just a recipient of the 2010 Grammy Gold Signature School status for outstanding accomplishments in the Fine Arts. We were one of three schools nationally recognized out of a finalist list of one hundred schools across the country as Grammy Gold status.
- LVA Jazz Studies Bands have received Superior ratings at every Clark County School District Jazz Festival.
- 2001 IAJE performance in Long Beach, California with guest artist’s Steve Davis and Peter Erskine.
- Downbeat award winner “Best Big Band” in 2002 and winner of “Best Combo” in 2007.
- Won every “Best-In-State” award at every Reno Jazz Festival in attendance.
- Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival Overall winner in 2004.
- Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival Combo first place in the Performing Arts division in 2007 and 2008.
- 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 Monterey Next Generation Jazz Festival Finalist.
- 2008 Monterey Jazz Festival Performance.
- The Las Vegas Academy has been recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as a “New American High School” and a “Blue Ribbon School”.
- LVA is a nine-time Grammy Award Winning school, more then any other school in the country!
- Students must audition for acceptance into our public school.
- Students must keep a 2.0 grade-point average to stay in school.
- Jazz Majors study Jazz five days a week for 86 minutes a day and spend the same amount of time longer then comprehensive high schools.
- Students from the Las Vegas Academy come from various socio-economic backgrounds from around the school district.